Dwelling Fires: 9; Building Fires: 1; Vehicle Fires: 1; Brush Fires: 2; Motor Vehicle Crashes: 4; Cardiac Arrests: 1; Fire Alarms: 5; CO Alarms: 1; Fumes: 2; Standby Assignments: 1.
NOV. 19: EGTFR was dispatched to 112 Hazleton Court in Harrison Twp. for a dwelling fire. Harrison units arrived to find fire in an attached porch in the rear of the house. Crews went to work with a 1-3/4” hose line. The fire was knocked down quickly, saving the house. Crews were in service for 60 minutes. Also dispatched were Harrison, Woolwich, and Glassboro.
NOV. 24: EGTFR was dispatched to 704 Elaine Drive for fumes. Chief Gould (1901) arrived to find a strong smell of natural gas in the house. South Jersey Gas was notified immediately. Crews went to work with detection meters to determine the source for the leak. Crews could not find the leak source and started venting the residence to clear the gas. The residence was vented completely and the scene was turned over to SJG. Crews were in service for 1 hour and 15 mins.
NOV. 26: EGTFR was dispatched to a motor vehicle crash at 395 Kings Highway. Crews arrived to find a single vehicle crash versus a telephone pole. The crash also caused a power outage in the area. There were no injuries and no need for fire department services. Crews were in service for 33 minutes. Also dispatched was Gloucester County EMS.
NOV. 26: EGTFR was dispatched to 292 Jessup Mill Road, the East Greenwich Youth Football field, for an alarm system. Originally, EGPD was dispatched for a burglar alarm. On scene, they determined it to be the fire alarm, and notified Gloucester County Communications to dispatch the fire department. Nothing was found and the system reset itself. Crews were in service for 16 minutes.
NOV. 30: EGTFR was dispatched to the area of mile marker 17 on Rt. 295 northbound. Crews on 1911 and 1918 checked the area and found nothing. Gloucester County Communications confirmed NJSP and NJ DOT were out with the vehicle. It was determined to be closer to mile marker 16 northbound. Crews arrived to find a blown engine on the vehicle. There was no fire and fire department services were not required. Crews were in service for 20 minutes.
DEC. 5: EGTFR was dispatched to 467 Freund Avenue in Gibbstown for a dwelling fire. Gibbstown’s fire chief arrived to find active fire on the left side of the house. Crews went into service with a 2” hose line to extinguish the fire. The fire was knocked down and crews went to work checking for fire extension and venting the house. Crews were in service for 63 minutes. Also dispatched were Gibbstown, Logan, Paulsboro, West Deptford, Woodbury and GCEMS.
DEC. 10: EGTFR was dispatched to 150 W Cohawkin Road for a brush fire. Chief Gould (1901) arrived to find the resident with a large bonfire. Crews extinguished the fire and the homeowner was advised they were not allowed the bonfire without a permit. Crews were in service for 47 minutes.
DEC. 15: EGTFR was dispatched to 79 Sunset Drive for a dwelling fire. Chief Gould (1901) arrived to find the resident had overcooked food and threw it outside in a mulch bed, starting a small fire. The smoke extended into the residence. Crews extinguished the small fire outside and went to work venting the house. Crews were in service for 41 minutes. Also dispatched were Harrison Twp, Woolwich, Gibbstown, Paulsboro and GCEMS.
Dec. 16, 2016 through Jan. 19, 2017
Dwelling Fires: 7; Structure Fires: 1; Building Fires: 1; Vehicle Fires: 1; Motor Vehicle Crashes: 3; CVA/Stroke: 1; Respiratory Emergency: 1; Medical Emergency: 1; Fire Alarms: 5; CO Alarms: 2; Fumes: 1; Smoke Investigations: 1.
DEC. 22: EGTFR was dispatched to a motor vehicle crash at Berkley Road and Whiskey Mill Road. Reports were of a vehicle into a pole smoking with entrapment. Units arrived on location found a telephone pole broken at the base with wires hanging low. The driver was not in the vehicle and had left the scene. Crews, along with Gloucester County EMS and EGPD searched the area for the driver. The driver was found uninjured and was turned over to EGPD. Crews waited on location for utility companies to arrive. The scene was turned over to EGPD and the utilities. Crews were in service for about 67 minutes.
DEC. 25: EGTFR was dispatched to 261 Whiskey Mill Road for a fire alarm. On response, crew of 1911 was advised it was set off by careless cooking. Chief Gould (1901) arrived on location to confirm careless cooking was the cause. He requested GC Fire Marshall’s Office be notified. Crews were in service for 12 minutes.
DEC. 29: EGTFR was dispatched for a motor vehicle crash in front of 34 Berkley Rd. Gloucester County Communications reported car versus tree with entrapment. Crews arrived and found no entrapment. They assisted GCEMS with removing and loading the patient. Crews also assisted EGPD with traffic. Crews were in service for about 60 mins.
JAN. 10: EGTFR was dispatched to 114 W Broad Street in Paulsboro for a dwelling fire. GC Communications reported multiple calls for an all hands working fire. Crews arrived to find a 2-1/2 story single family home with heavy fire showing. EGTFR crews were assigned to the second floor, where they found fire in the ceiling and went to work with a 2-1/2” hose line. At 45 minutes into the call, command ordered the building evacuated due to heavy fire volume and possible loss of structural integrity. Crews went into exterior firefighting operations. Once the fire was knocked down, crews were able to re-enter the house and begin overhaul operations. The fire is under investigation by the GC Fire Marshall’s Office. The Red Cross was called in to assist the family. Crews were in service for four hours. Also responding were Paulsboro, Gibbstown, West Deptford, Woolwich, Woodbury, Westville, Woodbury Heights, Deptford, Mantua, Pitman, GCEMS, GC Fire Marshall and Camden County Rehab 2.
JAN. 11: EGTFR was dispatched to 169 Russell Mill Road, Dorsett Farms, for a structure fire. GC Communications was reported fully involved barn on fire. Crews arrived to find the 40’x75’ barn on fire had collapsed and began exterior firefighting operations. Due to lack of hydrants, water shuttle operations were also started. No animals were in the barn. The fire is under investigations by the GC Fire Marshall’s Office. Crews were in service for 3 1/2 hours. Also responding were Woolwich, Logan, Harrison, South Harrison, Pitman, Gibbstown, Elk, Deptford, Westville, GCEMS, GC Fire Marshall’s Office and Salem County Rehab 6.
JAN. 14: EGTFR was dispatched to 8 Somers Avenue for a carbon monoxide alarm. Crews arrived and went into service with monitoring equipment. Crews found elevated CO levels in the basement. It was determined to be coming from a backfiring oil heater. The homeowner was advised to turn off the heater and contact a repair person. Crews were in service for 23 mins.
JAN. 16: EGTFR was dispatched to 15 East Cohawkin Road for a dwelling fire. A caller had reported black smoke coming from the roof. Chief Gould (1901) arrived, reporting nothing showing. Crews went into service with monitoring equipment to check the residence. Crew found elevated CO on all four levels of the house. A fan was put in service to ventilate the residence. The source of the CO and black smoke was determined to be from a backfiring heater. Crews were in service for 32 minutes.
JAN. 17: EGTFR was dispatched to 711 Farmhouse Road for a fire alarm. Dep. Chief Hall (1902) arrived to find 2-1/2 story house with nothing showing. Upon investigation, the problem was determined to be a defective smoke detector. The homeowner was advised to replace. Crews were in service for 31 minutes.
East Greenwich Twp. Fire and Rescue is an all-volunteer emergency response department protecting East Greenwich and its surrounding communities. Anyone interested in joining us, please e-mail email@example.com, call 856-423-6916 or stop by the Cohawkin Rd station on Tuesdays at 7 p.m.