GOV. MURPHY PRESS CONFERENCE, FEB. 22
- Houses of Worship and religious services may now operate at 50% capacity immediately. Masks are still required, and non-family groups must be separated by 6 feet. Churches have the right to limit the size further if they feel the need.
- Mirroring high school and youth sports, indoor and outdoor collegiate sports can now have two parents or guardians at practices and competitions per participating athlete. The number in attendance must not exceed 35% of the room’s capacity. Conferences have the right to restrict the number further.
- Sports and entertainment venues with fixed seating capacity of over 5,000 my open on March 1 with a 10% capacity for indoor events, and 15% capacity for outdoor events.
- The backlog of Pfizer vaccines from last weeks delivery delays due to bad weather are being delivered today to the 6 mega vaccination sites. They are still waiting to get this week’s number of doses being shipped. The backlog of Moderna vaccine doses for first shots was delivered today to half of the sites.
- 33% of those 80 and older have received their first vaccination shot; 13% have received their second. This age group made up 47% of the COVID mortalities. Of those age 65-79, 33% have received their first dose.
- There is one new case of the UK variant in the state. No location was given.
- Murphy signed legislation to legalize adult-use cannabis, decriminalize marijuana possession in small amounts, and limit the use of previous marijuana convictions. He said this law will also create a regulated cannabis marketplace which will create jobs.
- The statewide positivity rate for tests drawn on Feb. 18 was 6.35%. In North Jersey 6.01%, Central Jersey 6.55%, South Jersey 7.14%.
- LOCAL LONG TERM CARE CHANGES: United Methodist +1 resident case (6), +1 staff case (30); Terraces +1 resident case (16); ManorCare West Dept. +2 resident cases (29); Carneys Point +1 staff case (13); Southgate +1 staff case (12); Golden +1 resident case (49), +1 resident death (10)
— by Karen E. Viereck, Editor/Publisher